About PDF and File Formats
• PDF stands for Portable Document Format and PDF file names are of the form Filename.pdf.
• PDF files can only be properly read, viewed and printed out by the Adobe Acrobat Reader, a product of Adobe Systems, Inc. The Adobe Acrobat Reader is distributed free of charge by Adobe Systems, Inc. To download a free copy of the reader go to http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/readstep.html .
• The files on this The-Origin.org website are of three types.
1. Htm [HyperTextMarkup] files such as you are now reading and the main page and indexes of this site.
2. Files that are a gif [Graphic Image Format] image in an htm file, referred to as htm+gif.
3. Files that are pdf as described above.
• The various articles, papers, descriptions, and so forth available at this site by clicking on the applicable [blue] hyperlink are available in two alternative formats: htm+gif and pdf whichever you click on.
• The htm+gif format loads faster for quick access and viewing and is usually better for viewing figures; however, its typographic quality is poorer. But, if you lack graphics capability and can only view text you will not do well with the htm+gif files.
• The pdf format takes longer to load and to print out and there may be figure and symbol viewing defects, but it gives a better typographic appearance as printed. In general then: view htm+gif; print-out pdf.
... back to: The-Origin home page
index of music, poetry